In 1980, the 192nd General Assembly of the UPCUSA adopted Peacemaking: The Believers’ Calling. Thirty years later the Presbyterian Peacemaking Program invites peacemakers to gather among the mesas of northern New Mexico to practice telling stories of peacemaking. Inspired by the intricate and vibrant weaving for which northern New Mexico is famous, participants will explore how intertwined we are and how each of us bears witness to our being knit together into Christ.
As we celebrate the 30th anniversary of Peacemaking: The Believers’ Calling, participants will gather to re-member — to bring together those concerned for the things that make for peace. Together we will:
- recall the places where the triune God has led us in thepast as we:
- revisit and reaffirm core commitments to historic and ongoing peacemaking efforts
- acknowledge where God is leading us in our presentrealities as we:
- replenish spirits, hearts and minds through imaginative work and creative worship
- reconsider some of the pivotal social, cultural, political and ecclesiastical transformations of the past 30 years, and
- reassess the state of peacemaking in the church and world
- ponder where God of hope will lead us into the future as we:
- renew our commitment to follow Jesus and the church’s resolve to seek God’s realm of peace and justice on earth, and
- live out the believers’ calling for this day and generations to come!
The seminar is designed for young adult and adult participants and will include in a variety of plenary and small group gatherings for learning, praxis, and process. Due to the nature of the event, the seminar will not include childcare nor will programs for children or youth be provided. Participants bringing family members should bring a (non-participating) caregiver and register them for housing and meals.
For more information contact Dayna Oliver at (888) 728-7228 x8700.