The Youth Intern assists the Associate Pastor with Newport’s youth ministry for middle and high school youth.
· Work as part of a team of employees and volunteers on Sunday evenings and occasional special events as requested with advance notice.
· Serve as a Christian role model consistent with the Mission, Values and Theology of Newport.
· Provide leadership and planning surrounding games.
· Lead breakout session for mid high or senior high group as directed and planned by the Associate Pastor.
· Occasionally plan devotion or discussion.
· Participate in general fellowship and relationship building with our youth.
· Plan and provide music leadership for approximately 10 minutes of each scheduled youth group. (Preferred, but not required depending on experience and skills).
· Participate in occasional service or other offsite activities with our youth.
· Other duties and planning as directed by the Associate Pastor.
Work Hours & Schedule:
Attend approximately 28 youth group meetings primarily on Sunday evenings during the school year; 4 hours estimated per week including planning time.
The successful candidate will:
· Have previous experience working in youth ministry.
· Be dependable and have reliable transportation.
· Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills, especially dealing with youth, parents and volunteer advisors in a professional manner.
· Have an understanding of basic first aid, including CPR certification (or must be willing to become certified).
· Comply with the church’s Child Safety policy, including submitting to a background check, attending a child abuse prevention training workshop, and making a signed statement that the candidate has never been convicted of abusing children or youth.
The Youth Intern reports to and is supervised by the associate pastor; they work directly with other youth advisors; and in a cooperative relationship with youth, facility, program and administrative staff, church leadership, members, and parents.
The youth Intern will be paid $15 per hour. If extra time is required and agreed upon between the associate pastor and the Youth Intern, the same rate will apply up to forty hours per week. This position as a part‐time support staff position does not qualify for any benefits, sick days, vacation days, or holidays.
All who work at Newport are encouraged to do so with an understanding that their work should be in support of the church’s mission statement - which calls us to be:
o inclusive, supporting and nurturing of families, adults, youth and children;
o building communities through intergenerational activities and small group support;
o strong communicators of values, theological positions and information;
a place where we “live out” a commitment to radical hospitality. See www.newportpres.org
If interested, please submit resume including 2 references to email@example.com