Tens of thousands of unaccompanied children are fleeing Honduras, Guatemala, and El Salvador. Many are arriving in the United States where it is expected that this nation will receive more than 60,000 children at the end of the fiscal year. The president has called the situation a humanitarian crisis. The federal agencies, Department of Homeland Security and Health and Human Services through the Office of Refugee Resettlement, are racing in a collaborative relay to answer the need. Read more...
Partner with Presbyterian Disaster Assistant (PDA):
Presbyterian Disaster Assistance (PDA) is working to provide financial support to congregations and mid councils along the border, and members of the National Response Team are helping mid councils devise strategies to meet the needs of the children and families. We are also collaborating with ecumenical and interfaith partners who have experience working with refugees and immigrants and are also responding to this growing crisis.
You too have an opportunity to respond with compassion, generosity, and the acceptance of God’s call. Please stand in the GAP for the children and mothers.
Partner with churches in El Paso, TX:
The needs for the unaccompanied children gathered in El Paso change on daily basis. Annunciation House, one of the organizations that is involved on this, is working with Grace church in el Paso in taking care of the children. Our churches in El Paso are also involved and working with other organizations to provide care for the children some of them alone and others with their mothers.
Here is the updated list of needs we received from Rev. Jessica Vaughan Lower, firstname.lastname@example.org, pastor at Grace Presbyterian Church in El Paso. Please take a look of the list to see if your church or yourself can help. Here is the list of needs she prepared:
1) People. They need volunteers for a variety of tasks, times, and reasons. Volunteer duties range from sitting in front of a fire alarm, to cooking food, to working at the center of it all, and more. If you can offer any time and can be reliable, please!, contact Jesse Moore at email@example.com or go to Loretto Academy/Nazareth Retirement center and let them know you are willing to help.
2) Trial sized deodorant
3) Brushes, combs, hair ties.
4) Women's undergarments: underwear sizes XS-M, bras 34-36B.
5) "Flip flop" sandals, children's sizes up to women's size 8.
6) Small toys for children
7) We also receive and deliver financial donations. Make check payable to Grace Presbyterian Church El Paso and note in the memo that they are for the "Unaccompanied Immigrant Children."
Rev. José Luis Casal, General Missioner
The Presbytery of Tres Rios
Presbyterian Church (USA)
1201 W Wall
Midland, Texas 79701
Office - (432) 682-5297
Cellular - (432) 638-3564